Thursday, July 17, 2008

Off to bust my *rse in Canada...

Today is my last day at work before heading to Canada for the World 24 Hour Solo championships. Using my last evening usefully I thought I’d put this blog together. I’ll be at moooooooooooom’s place tomorrow packing and flying out on Saturday morning – yeah to the 06:45 flights.

A quick overview of the itinerary:

  1. Get up extra early Saturday 19th and wrestle with domestic international transfer thing.
  2. Fly to Vancouver and spend a couple of days hanging out. Hopefully I’ll get to check out some of the north shore radness.
  3. Leaving on Monday and taking a couple of days to head over to Banff.
  4. I plan to arrive in Banff on the Thursday; this gives me a couple of days to meet up with the other racers, rego for the event and pre-ride the course.
  5. The big race is on Sat 26th & Sun 27th.
  6. I’ll then spend a few days recovering in Banff before heading back to Vancouver and flying home on the 31st.

For more details on the actual race www.24hoursofadrenalin.com - follow the link to the “World Championships”. I'm in the 35-39 age group. I’m not sure if this site will have live updates during the race. However, I’m trying to sort out some sort of SMS or microblogging so I can get a live race update out. I’ve got a vision of someone firing off hourly SMS messages: “He’s not in last place – @rse is not bleeding – all is good”. Also www.cyclingnews.com often has race reports of major USA MTB events so keep your eyes on the site (it will be somewhere in between the stories of Cadel wining the Tour)

I’ll be checking the hotmail regularly during the trip. And it would be really great if you wanted to fire me the odd messages of support. I'll try and keep you posted with interesting stories of my adverntures!

And finally, the other great news is a couple of nice Canadians have offered to help me out during the race. So say hi to Mark & Frances for London (Canada)!

No comments: